Modern technology is revolutionizing the way we care for our beloved seniors. What once seemed unfathomable a decade ago is now more achievable than ever. Medical alert systems, smart thermostats, electronic medication boxes, and even digital monitoring tools have become industry standards. Not only does the patient benefit, but caregivers work more effectively, and families stay more connected.
At Peristyle Beau West, we constantly look for new technologies to stay on the cutting edge of senior care. If your elderly loved one requires memory care services in Mandeville, Louisiana, please contact us today to visit our all-memory care community. Below are several suggestions on useful technologies for seniors. We hope this article helps you provide more effective care for your elderly loved one.
Remote Health Monitoring
Remote monitoring systems often include sensors that track weight, pulse, and blood pressure. The data can be stored in an app on a caregiver’s phone and is typically available in real-time. This allows family members to monitor their loved one’s health from anywhere and stay abreast of any changes over time. Remote monitoring also allows caregivers to watch the patient’s health from a distance, which can be especially helpful for those on numerous medications and who have multiple chronic conditions.
Several additional benefits of remote monitoring include:
- Help caregivers identify health problems early on and provide intervention as needed.
- Shows inconsistencies in vital signs.
- Improve seniors’ overall quality of life by enabling them to stay connected with their loved ones and caregivers.
Medical Alert Systems
Another outstanding technology helping seniors stay safe is through the use of medical alert systems. Medical alert systems, also known as emergency response systems, provide seniors with a way to call for help in an emergency. Most medical alert systems consist of a pendant or wristband worn by the senior at all times. If something happens and the senior falls or needs help, they can push a button on the device to call for help. A dispatcher will then respond through the system’s phone line and contact the care team or an ambulance.
Some of the key benefits that of emergency response systems include:
- Eliminates the need for caregivers to check in on seniors constantly.
- Improves schedule flexibility for care teams.
- Seniors feel more secure knowing help is just a button push away if they should ever need it.
- Provides comfort to families knowing their elderly loved one is a click of the button away from help at all times.
Smart thermostats, like Nest and Ecobee, offer caregivers and families the ability to monitor and adjust their elderly loved one’s home’s temperature from a mobile app or computer. You can also program auto adjustments when they’re not at home, so their homes stay cool in the summer months and warm during the winter. This makes it easier to control heat-related symptoms such as swelling in the feet and ankles, shortness of breath, or fatigue.
Several benefits of smart thermostats include:
- You can set temperature preferences to help manage their symptoms, even when they’re away.
- These systems are easy to use, reducing the learning curve for families, caregivers, and even seniors.
- Reduces costs on wasted energy bills.
Electronic Medication Pill Boxes
Electronic medication pillboxes offer seniors and caregivers a way to track when the last dosage was taken and when the next one is due. It also monitors how much medication has been taken, as you can set the parameters beforehand to ensure an overdose will never occur – a common problem among memory loss patients. Electronic pillboxes also have monitoring capabilities to let caregivers know if the medications are being taken on time or when they need to be refilled.
Some of the key benefits of electronic medication pillboxes include:
- Keeps track of medications, making it easier on the senior.
- It makes it easier for caregivers to monitor medication schedules and ensure medications are taken on time.
- Reduces the risk of seniors missing doses or taking incorrect dosages because they didn’t realize they had already taken that day’s medication.
Raised Toilet Seats
Raised toilet seats are not an electronic technology like those above; however, they have been around for decades, and their practical application cannot be understated. Raised toilet seats make it easier to get on and off the toilet. It works by elevating the toilet so seniors can sit comfortably without struggling to get up and down.
Some of the key benefits of raised toilet seats include:
- It helps seniors maintain their independence.
- Reduces the risk of slips and falls.
- Limits stress on muscles, joints, and bones.
Home Access Control
Another creative way technology helps seniors stay healthy and safe is by controlling who enters the home. Home access control systems give family members and caregivers the ability to lock and unlock doors remotely. These systems can also be used to monitor who is coming and going, which can help family members keep track of their loved one’s activities – especially beneficial for individuals with memory loss.
Several key benefits about home access controls include:
- Offers features that allow family members to check in whenever they want, essential for remote monitoring.
- These systems can also be used to monitor who is coming and going, which can help family members keep track of activity within the home.
- It helps seniors feel safe and secure in their homes.
- Reduces the risk of memory loss individuals wandering out of the home.
Bathroom Grab Bars
Bathroom grab bars are perhaps the most simple technology on our list but cannot be understated in the importance of senior care. These metal bars can be attached to walls next to the toilet or in the shower/tub, allowing seniors to reach them using both hands safely.
While grab bars are helpful for people of all ages, they’re critical for senior citizens because:
- They help maintain balance and reduce the risk of falls.
- They provide a place for seniors to grip when getting on or off the toilet or into the bathtub.
- They offer stability when standing in the shower.
- Can assist caregivers when bathing a senior patient.
Anti-slip Bathtub Mats
Lastly, technology is helping seniors stay safe through the use of anti-slip bathtub mats. These mats help keep seniors from slipping and falling in the bathtub, which can lead to severe injuries. Anti-slip mats typically are made of rubber or foam and have a textured surface that helps keep the senior’s feet from slipping. The anti-slip mats are available in various sizes and easily cut to fit any tub or shower space.
Non-slippery bathtub mats do several things to help seniors stay healthy, including:
- Preventing falls: Slips and falls are the leading cause of injuries for people over 65, which is why anti-slip mats are essential safety features for anyone in this age group.
- It offers a soft surface that feels comfortable on the feet.
- Rescues the risk of pressure sores or other skin issues by sitting in water for prolonged periods.
As seniors age, many are faced with the decision to leave their homes and move into an assisted living facility. At Peristyle Beau West, we utilize new and innovative technologies to help seniors stay safe and healthy while in our care. Contact us today to learn more about our all-memory care community in Mandeville, Louisiana. We look forward to the opportunity to meet your family and care for your elderly loved one.